Chambers Latin America 2021
A source reports: "Michel is knowledgeable of domestic and foreign compliance legislation," adding that "he is very skilled assisting with due diligence for M&A."
Michel Sancovski is a partner of the Anti-Corruption & Compliance group of Tauil & Chequer Advogados in the São Paulo office. He is also a co-head of the global White Collar Defense & Compliance group.
He focuses on corporate compliance and anti-corruption matters and his experience includes advising in anti-corruption compliance cases, taking into account local and foreign laws, coordinating highly complex major investigations, developing, reviewing and implementing compliance programs, and assisting with anti-corruption due diligences in third parties and in M&A transactions. Michel also has been a key participant in negotiations with Brazilian and US Authorities, as well as in leniency agreements. As guest professor at renowned institutions, he often lectures in compliance courses and has great experience in providing in-house compliance training to top executives.
Michel co-led and coordinated an internal investigation that is deemed one of the world’s largest investigations. He occupied a prominent position in the interaction with the Special Committee of the investigation and the company’s Board of Directors.
In 2019 and 2020, Michel has been named by Global Investigations Review and Who's Who Legal as a Future Leader in the investigations area, which focuses on the leading practitioners aged under 45.
- Co-led the Petrobras independent internal investigation into bribery allegations involving the state-controlled oil company, which has been deemed one of the world’s largest investigations. He occupied a prominent position involving the interaction with the Special Committee of the investigation, the company’s Board of Directors, Brazilian authorities (Public Prosecutor’s Office in São Paulo, Brasilia and Rio de Janeiro, the CVM – Brazilian Securities and Exchange Commission, and the Ministry of Transparency and Comptroller General of Brazil – CGU), and US authorities (U.S. Department of Justice and U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission).
- Represented the majority shareholder of two Brazilian infrastructure companies on the negotiations of a leniency agreement with the Lava Jato Task Force in Curitiba (Federal Prosecutors' Office) which ended up with the companies paying over BRL 1 billion.
- Led a large internal investigation of potential irregularities regarding investments made by a subsidiary of one of the largest Brazilian energy companies, as well as assisting in the elaboration and implementation of the remediation plan. The investigation included over 50 employees and its result could have impacted on the disclosure of the company's financial statements in Brazil and in the U.S. The work also included interactions with several Brazilian authorities, including CVM, TCE-PR, MP-PR and the Police. Shadow investigation has been conducted by two Big 4s that ended up comfortable with the results of the internal investigation and the company was able to publish its financial statements on time. The company is listed on BM&FBovespa (now B3) and on the NYSE.
- Led over 20 internal investigations related to facts, allegations, and possible irregularities reported internally for an international chemical company, including recommendations in connection with these investigations for improvements to the Company on a compliance perspective, as well as addressing several issues brought directly by the Compliance Department and external stakeholders.
- Led a large internal investigation for a Brazilian infrastructure company in the central-west region of Brazil regarding certain allegations of corruption and embezzlement resulting from an operation conducted by the Brazilian Federal Police, including advisory aiming to remediate and improve the Company's Anticorruption and Compliance program. The services also included legal assistance to the Investigation Committee to deal with the findings of the investigation, as well as interacting with authorities and the auditing firm responsible for certifying the company's financial statements.
- Provided strategic legal assistance and advice on anti-corruption & compliance issues to an Asian trading and investment company regarding potential implications to the business of a Brazilian company in view of the allegations faced of potential compliance violations discovered under an operation from the Brazilian Federal Police to investigate a former Brazilian president.
- Led a cross-border independent internal investigation of an international company leader in the fields of medical and safety technology, as well as cooperation and negotiation of leniency agreements with the Public Prosecutor’s Office in Rio de Janeiro (MPF/RJ).
- Led two independent internal investigations in the Brazilian subsidiary of a US technology multinational related to potential improper payment to public agents in Brazil and possible self-dealing / embezzlement on the part of one or more sales employees.
- Led an independent internal investigation into the Brazilian subsidiary of a multinational company in the food and beverage industry regarding certain allegations related to improper payments connected to “Operation Weak Flesh”.
- Led an independent internal investigation into the Brazilian subsidiary of a multinational company in the beverage industry related to sponsorships made to a company owned by an individual involved in “Operation Zealots”.
- Led the risk assessment and implementation of the Compliance Program in a multinational automotive manufacturer.
University of California, Berkeley School of Law, LLM, Master of Laws Degree with the Business Law Certificate
Fundação Getúlio Vargas (FGV/SP), Post-graduate law-specialization diploma
Universidade Presbiteriana Mackenzie, Bachelor of Law (JD equivalent)
- Guest professor at IBGC (Brazilian Institute of Corporate Governance), Rio de Janeiro, Brasilia, Curitiba, and São Paulo.
- Director at IBRADEMP (Brazilian Institute of Corporate Law), São Paulo
- Ambassador of ComplianceLab-Mack, Universidade Presbiteriana Mackenzie Law School, São Paulo.
- Member, Permanent Commission on Studies about Compliance, Instituto dos Advogados de São Paulo – IASP (Sao Paulo Lawyers Institute), São Paulo.
- Berkeley Law Ambassador in Brazil, São Paulo.
- Member of the Brazilian Bar Association, São Paulo.
- A source reports: "Michel is knowledgeable of domestic and foreign compliance legislation," adding that "he is very skilled assisting with due diligence for M&A." - Chambers Global 2021
- ‘Michel Sancovski: Very solid professional, good in dealing with clients and good persuasion and negotiation skills.‘ – The Legal 500, ed. 2021
- A source reports: "Michel is knowledgeable of domestic and foreign compliance legislation," adding that "he is very skilled assisting with due diligence for M&A." - Chambers Latin America 2021
- “Michel Sancovski, from the São Paulo office, is recognized for his 'great conviction and negotiating skills'.” - The Legal 500, ed. 2020
- Recommended in Compliance. – Leaders League 2020 and 2021
- Recognized with solid endorsement from market observers, who describe him as "a very well-prepared and responsive lawyer." A client adds: "He is very technical and a leader." – Chambers Global 2020
- "(…) represents the firm's multinational and domestic clients in internal investigations, leniency agreements and administrative enforcement." - The Legal 500 2019
- Recognized with solid endorsement from market observers, who describe him as "a very well-prepared and responsive lawyer." Client says: "He is very technical and a leader." - Chambers Latin America 2020
- Listed in the WWL: Investigations – Future Leaders 2019, 2020 and 2021, a research conducted by Who’s Who Legal (WWL) and Global Investigations Review (GIR). - Who's Who Legal 2019, 2020 and 2021.