Chambers Latin America
Clients endorse head of department Carlos Motta's "pro-business attitude", and add: "He finds straightforward solutions to our problems and doesn't overcomplicate matters."
One client describes Carlos Motta as "a solution-oriented lawyer who finds creative ways of solving our problems, even in deals that are innovative and without obvious solutions."
Carlos Motta was a Mayer Brown Global co-head of Corporate & Securities from 2016 to 2019.
He has vast experience in M&A transactions (both domestic and cross-border), corporate compliance, private equity and venture capital and other complex matters involving corporate and capital markets laws. Motta has been involved in a variety of sophisticated transactions and cross-border deals, assisting public held corporations, domestic and international companies, financial advisors and banks. Carlos works in many sectors and has been particularly active in the Infrastructure, Energy, Education, Logistic, Advertisement, Sports and Technology sectors.
In Capital Markets & Securitization, Carlos Motta focuses his practice on securities public offerings, including share offerings (IPOs and Follow-Ons) and debt issuances (such as debentures, promissory notes, bonds and Real Estate and Agriculture Receivables Certificates). Carlos Motta also advises on capital markets regulation and corporate Law.
Carlos's experience includes:
Mergers and Acquisitions (M&A). Advice companies, banks and financial advisors in relation to merges and acquisitions, including cases involving listed companies, joint ventures, private equity, capital increase, takeovers and other acquisitions of shareholding interests, purchase and sale of shares, among other transactions.
Capital Markets Transactions. Advice issuers and managers in relation to Initial Public offers and follow-ons in accordance with Instructions 400 and 471 of the Brazilian Securities Commission, as well as transactions on the basis of restricted placement efforts, pursuant to Instruction 476 of the Brazilian Securities Commission for shares and debt securities (debentures, promissory notes, bonds and Real State Receivable Certificates), in addition to tender offers of shares in public companies.
Corporate Law, Capital Markets and Corporate Governance. Advice in relation to routine corporate law, capital markets and corporate governance issues, including representing controllers, directors and officers of public corporations, companies and investment banks with complex issues, general meetings, board of directors' meetings, including representation before the Brazilian Securities Commission (CVM), B3 (Brazilian Stock Exchange) and the Brazilian Financial and Capital Markets Association (ANBIMA) .
Stanford University, LLM, Science & Technology
Universidade Presbiteriana Mackenzie, Bachelor of Law (JD equivalent)
Faculdade São Francisco, Student invited by Judge Newton de Lucca in the postgraduate course in Electronic Commerce
- Board Member of Acãochego (Nongovernmental Association for Abandoned Animals)
- Head of department Carlos Motta routinely advises both underwriters and issuers on a variety of capital markets deals, including IPOs and follow-ons, as well as the issuance of debentures to finance infrastructure projects. An interviewee says: "Clients appreciate his pragmatic and straightforward approach." Another source adds: "He is technically very good, available and up to date with matters." He routinely assists with cross-border mergers, divestments and the negotiation of partnership agreements. An interviewee highlights: "He is very dedicated and an excellent lawyer."- Chambers Global, ed. 2021 and Chambers Latin America, ed. 2021
- Carlos Motta advises multinational companies acting as issuers on cross-border equity transactions, in addition to assisting with DCM work. He draws upon his solid track record in ECM deals to advise on IPOs, follow-on offerings and the capital markets regulatory framework in connection with listed companies. One client recognizes that "he is very pro-deal," and another highlights that "he is reliable, experienced and swift in his responses covering the full range of capital markets."; One client describes Carlos Motta as "a solution-oriented lawyer who finds creative ways of solving our problems, even in deals that are innovative and without obvious solutions." Another source adds that "he is very knowledgeable and experienced, and backs us up very well during the deals." He specializes in joint ventures and M&A, advising national and foreign companies. - Chambers Latin America, ed. 2020
- Recognized at IFLR 2021 as Highly Recommended.
- Recognized at Leaders League Brazil Best Counsel 2021 as Excellent in Capital Markets area and Highly Recommended in M&A Corporate Law area.
- Recognized at Leaders League Brazil Best Counsel 2018 as Excellent in Capital Markets area and Highly Recommended in M&A Corporate Law area.
- Recognized at LACCA Approved, ed. 2019 and 2018.
- "He is an excellent professional in both the capital markets and M&A sectors."; "[…] an excellent lawyer in the M&A and capital markets practice areas." - Chambers Latin America, ed. 2019
- Clients endorse head of department Carlos Motta's "pro-business attitude," and add: "He finds straightforward solutions to our problems and doesn't overcomplicate matters."; Clients describe partner Carlos Motta as "a first-rate lawyer who knows when to defend client interests and when to be flexible in order to close the deal." He is valued for his extensive track record in domestic and cross-border corporate, M&A and capital markets transactions on behalf of financial institutions and publicly held corporations. - Chambers Latin America, ed. 2018
- “[...] is recognized for his strengths spanning both M&A and capital markets transactions, and routinely acts for a range of domestic and international clients, including financial entities and public companies."; [...] understands how the market works, is very experienced and provides valuable insight into the securities and exchange commission." - Chambers Latin America, ed. 2017