Clients endorse head of department Carlos Motta's "pro-business attitude," and one client describes Carlos Motta as "a solution-oriented lawyer who finds creative ways of solving our problems, even in deals that are innovative and without obvious solutions."Chambers Latin America
Carlos Motta is a Mayer Brown global co-head of the Corporate & Securities practice.
He has vast experience in M&A transactions (both domestic and cross-border) and other complex matters involving corporate and capital markets laws. Carlos has been involved in a variety of sophisticated transactions and cross-border deals, assisting public held corporations, domestic and international companies, financial advisors and banks. Carlos works in many sectors and has been particularly active in the infrastructure, energy, education, logistic, advertisement, sports and technology sectors.
In capital markets and securitization, Carlos focuses his practice on securities public offerings, including IPOs and debt issuances (such as debentures, promissory notes, bonds and real estate and agriculture receivables certificates). Carlos also advises on capital markets regulation and corporate law.
Carlos's experience includes:
Mergers and Acquisitions (M&A). Advice companies, banks and financial advisors in relation to merges and acquisitions, including cases involving listed companies, joint ventures, private equity, capital increase, takeovers and other acquisitions of shareholding interests, purchase and sale of shares, among other transactions.
Capital Markets Transactions. Advice issuers and managers in relation to Initial Public offers and follow-ons in accordance with Instructions 400 and 471 of the Brazilian Securities Commission, as well as transactions on the basis of restricted placement efforts, pursuant to Instruction 476 of the Brazilian Securities Commission for shares and debt securities (debentures, promissory notes, bonds and Real State Receivable Certificates), in addition to tender offers of shares in public companies.
Corporate Law, Capital Markets and Corporate Governance. Advice in relation to routine corporate law, capital markets and corporate governance issues, including representing controllers, directors and officers of public corporations, companies and investment banks with complex issues, general meetings, board of directors' meetings, including representation before the Brazilian Securities Commission (CVM), B3 (Brazilian Stock Exchange) and the Brazilian Financial and Capital Markets Association (ANBIMA) .
Stanford University, LLM
Universidade Presbiteriana Mackenzie, Bachelor of Law (JD equivalent)
Faculdade São Francisco, Student invited by Judge Newton de Lucca in the postgraduate course in Electronic Commerce
- Board Member of Acãochego (Nongovernmental Association for Abandoned Animals)
- Carlos Motta advises multinational companies acting as issuers on cross-border equity transactions, in addition to assisting with DCM work. He draws upon his solid track record in ECM deals to advise on IPOs, follow-on offerings and the capital markets regulatory framework in connection with listed companies. One client recognizes that "he is very pro-deal," and another highlights that "he is reliable, experienced and swift in his responses covering the full range of capital markets." One client describes Carlos Motta as "a solution-oriented lawyer who finds creative ways of solving our problems, even in deals that are innovative and without obvious solutions." Another source adds that "he is very knowledgeable and experienced, and backs us up very well during the deals." He specializes in joint ventures and M&A, advising national and foreign companies. - Chambers Latin America, ed. 2020
- Recognized at Leaders League Brazil Best Counsel 2018 as Excellent in Capital Markets area and Highly Recommended in M&A Corporate Law area.
- Recognized at LACCA Approved, ed. 2019 and 2018.
- "He is an excellent professional in both the capital markets and M&A sectors."; "[…] an excellent lawyer in the M&A and capital markets practice areas." - Chambers Latin America, ed. 2019
- Clients endorse head of department Carlos Motta's "pro-business attitude," and add: "He finds straightforward solutions to our problems and doesn't overcomplicate matters."; Clients describe partner Carlos Motta as "a first-rate lawyer who knows when to defend client interests and when to be flexible in order to close the deal." He is valued for his extensive track record in domestic and cross-border corporate, M&A and capital markets transactions on behalf of financial institutions and publicly held corporations. - Chambers Latin America, ed. 2018
- “[...] is recognized for his strengths spanning both M&A and capital markets transactions, and routinely acts for a range of domestic and international clients, including financial entities and public companies."; [...] understands how the market works, is very experienced and provides valuable insight into the securities and exchange commission." - Chambers Latin America, ed. 2017
- “The team's main qualities are its exceptional technical competency, the handling of transactions in an efficient and practical manner and the intense involvement of partners throughout all phases of the deal”; “Head of practice Carlos Motta specializes in equity capital markets and debt issuances. He is active in M&A, public share offerings and real estate receivables. Sources recognize him as “a very practical lawyer performing high-quality work” - Chambers Latin America, ed. 2016
- “The firm offers phenomenal attention to detail and client service, and the lawyers provide quick, accurate responses to our questions”; “We hire them for their business vision, availability and value for money. They provide the level of service we expect as a multinational company”; “Head of department Carlos Motta is particularly recognized for his handling of equity offerings. Sources also highlight his strong negotiation skills”; “Equity expert Carlos Motta is steadily gaining exposure and market share in the M&A scene. Clients describe him as ‘an excellent lawyer with a great head for business” - Chambers Latin America, ed. 2015
- “This celebrated capital markets group has developed a considerable market share and visibility in recent years. The team’s workload ranges from high-profile equity deals to securitizations, debenture offerings and other structured finance products, and the firm is widely recognized to be one of the most active players in real estate receivables certificates (CRIs), a fast-growing asset class in Brazil. Standout transactions in this area include representing BTG Pactual in Equatorial Energia’s BRL1.3 billion follow-on and assisting Ecorodovias in a BRL800 million public offering of debentures”; “They have a macro and commercially minded approach to our needs, and always look for the safest way to structure transactions”; “The firm stands out for its reasonably priced and client-oriented service as well as the dedication of its senior partners”; “Department head Carlos Motta draws glowing reviews from clients: ‘He’s very responsive and his broad experience in this area means that he is able to give us credible advice on the spot’”; “‘Carlos Motta is best known for his expertise in equity capital markets but has been increasingly visible in M&A deals of late. He represented Rodoviário Schio as it sold 100% of its shares to JSL’” - Chambers Latin America, ed. 2014
- “The team still has four capital markets partners, including ‘excellent’ group head Carlos Motta. Motta led advice to Renova Eólica Participações on its R$146m offering of debentures, and CIE Autometal on its R$616m offering of shares and delisting”; “‘Responsive, strategic and commercially savvy’, Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown garners praise for its ‘collaborative approach’ and ‘ability to bring in supplementary advice when required’. Rio de Janeiro-based Alexandre Chequer jointly heads the practice, and is a recognised expert in oil-and-gas transactions, recently working with Victor Galante in advising Chinese oil company CNOOC on its $7bn joint venture for operations in the Libra gas field. Capital markets specialist Carlos Motta, who co-heads the group from São Paulo, advised the shareholders of VCCL Participações on the R$1.95bn sale of the company to Pearson Education do Brasil” – The Legal 500, Latin America, ed. 2015
- “Lawyers at Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown are commended for their ‘rapid response times’ and ability to ‘strongly align themselves with the client’s business practices’. Capital markets head Carlos Motta attracts rave reviews for his ‘creativity’, ‘steadfast commitment’ and ‘experience with complex structures’. The firm handles the full gamut of capital markets matters for both issuers and financial institutions, but it has really excelled in debt work over the past year. Among recent highlights, it advised Raízen Energia on its first public offering of debentures […]”; “At Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown LLP, Alexandre Chequer co-heads the team alongside Carlos Motta, who is a ‘very creative, committed and determined lawyer’. Motta advised Grupo Multi’s majority shareholder, the Martins family, on Pearson’s acquisition of Grupo Multi” - The Legal 500, Latin America, ed. 2014
- “Tauil & Chequer in association with Mayer Brown has a very strong profile in the market, and receives high praise for both debt and equity work. At the helm of the team is Carlos Motta is described as ‘a huge market player’ and has a superb reputation in this area. (…) Motta led in representing BTG Pactual, and the other underwriters, in Equatorial Energia’s follow-on primary and secondary offerings, worth R$1.4bn; he also acted for BTG Pactual, Banco Itaú BBA and Banco Santander (Brazil) on the R$425.6m IPO of Unicasa Indústria de Móveis. Key issuer mandates led by Motta include representing Concessionária de Rodovias do Oeste de São Paulo-Viaoeste on its R$750m public offering of debentures; advising Ecorodovias Concessões e Serviços on its R$800m debenture offering; and advising Aliansce Shopping Centers on a R$389.2m primary share offering”; “The ‘very responsive and business-orientated’ team at Tauil & Chequer in association with Mayer Brown enjoys a strong reputation for all energy-related corporate work. ‘Fully dedicated to clients’ needs’ (...). The team also includes Carlos Motta, who is ‘among the best capital markets and M&A lawyers in the country’. (…) Motta advised BTG Pactual on the R$699.7m sale of its stake in STR Projetos e Participações em Recursos Naturais” - The Legal 500, Latin America, ed. 2013
- “Carlos Motta heads the capital markets group of Tauil & Chequer Advogados in São Paulo and is active in all forms of debt and equity issuances. He is ‘a great strategic thinker and a born dealmaker’, according to one source” - Who’s Who Legal – Brazil, ed. 2015
- “Carlos Motta heads the capital markets group at Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown in Brazil. Practitioners and clients alike praise his “eminent” practice which is dedicated to complex corporate transactions and debt and equity offerings” - Who’s Who Legal – Brazil, ed. 2014
- “Carlos Motta represents Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown. He heads the firm’s capital markets group and is “without question” a “leading expert” in the Field. His practice range of areas from debt public offerings through to debentures” - Who’s Who Legal – Brazil, ed. 2013
- “Tauil & Chequer’s banking and finance practice is broad, with core bank financing and capital markets work (a busy practice for the firm) led by Carlos Motta in São Paulo. Unsurprisingly, there is also a focus on natural resources and infrastructure related work; for example, Motta advised Renova in a promissory notes issuance in 2014. Motta is also recommended in LACCA Approved”; “The capital markets team at Tauil & Chequer, led by the high-profile Carlos Motta, has grown significantly in recent years, both in size and in recognition by the market. The banks are on board: Motta has been getting regular underwriting work from BTG Pactual as well as other investment banks – for example, advising Citigroup, Itaú BBA and Mizuho Securities when they acted as joint lead managers when iron ore producer Samarco made a US$500 million notes offering”; “The firm has a broad and well-regarded corporate team, with a number of partners with busy practices. Carlos Motta has also been building a notable corporate and M&A practice since joining the firm” - Latin Lawyer 250 – Latin America’s Leading Business Law Firms –, ed. 2015
- “The capital markets team at Tauil & Chequer, led by the high-profile Carlos Motta, has grown significantly of late, both in size and in recognition by the market”; “Carlos Motta has also been building a notable Corporate and M&A practice since joining the firm. In 2013 he advised the former family owners of Grupo Multi, which owns a chain of language schools, in selling out to Pearson for US$800 million; he also helped French communications company Publicis Groupe acquire a majority stake in Brazilian digital and social media marketing agency Espalhe” - Latin Lawyer 250 – Latin America’s Leading Business Law Firms –, ed. 2014
- “They have a knowledgeable team,” a client of the capital markets team says. Deal highlights include Caio Cossermelli leading the team that is advising Companhia de Saneamento do Paraná – SANEPAR on its IPO. Cossermelli also teamed up with Carlos Motta to advise Renova Energia on a follow-on offering of units. A similar team advised Raízen Energia on its public offering of debentures. - IFLR 1000 - The Guide of the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms –, ed. 2015
- “Carlos Motta was one of the lawyers recognized as "leading lawyers" in Banking, Capital Market and M&A” - IFLR 100 - The Guide of the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms -, ed. 2014
- “[…] partner Carlos Motta remains the dominant figure in the firm's respected capital markets practice […]; “For the present, attorneys indicate that the firm is ‘still very well positioned’ and that it ‘does high-quality work’. Clients remain very pleased with the firm as well. One notes: ‘Speaking in terms of ratings, they are a ten. They are very technical and they are very quick in response” - IFLR 100 - The Guide of the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms –, ed. 2013
- Carlos Motta was announced as a winner two years in a row of the “Client Choice Awards – 2014 and 2013” in the capital markets area. The award is a reconnaissance where clients gave feedback about superb client service from international law firms, such as: “Carlos Motta has deep knowledge of capital markets and tax”; “He is very close to our business and to the management, and is always trying to understand and address all issues brought to his attention.”; “I would describe Carlos Motta as a business-oriented lawyer.”; “Looking into the business and paying close attention to what the financial and business officers say, Carlos Motta is more a ‘how to do’ than a ‘can't do’ lawyer.” - Client Choice Awards, ed. 2014 and 2013
- The most important Law publication regarding law offices, surveyed 1300 law firms, 500 of which were listed in the publication. For financial transactions, only 25 lawyers were listed, including Carlos Motta as one of the most admired in Brazil. – Anuário Análise Advocacia, ed. 2011 to 2018