Recognised for his strengths spanning both M&A and capital markets transactions, and routinely acts for a range of domestic and international clients, including financial entities and public companies.The Legal 500
Daniel Gunzburger is a partner in the São Paulo office of Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown. He is a member of the Corporate & Securities and Mergers & Acquisitions practices. Daniel focuses primarily on mergers and acquisitions, representing buyers and sellers with stock and asset acquisition and divestitures, as well as formation of joint ventures and strategic alliances.
Daniel’s practice is also focused on infrastructure and greenfield construction projects, providing front-end drafting advice on project documentation and dispute management with the intent of handling the risks arising from construction and engineering practices. He has considerable experience in negotiations of construction contracts (including EPC and alliance deals) as well as handling project financing structure. Daniel has been recently deeply involved on regulatory issues related to new ports regulation in Brazil as well as other maritime matters.
A graduate of Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro, Daniel holds an LL.M. degree from Columbia Law School in New York and an MBA from Insper – Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa. In addition to Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo, Daniel is admitted to practice law in New York.
- Advised Dow Agrosciences in the acquisition of assets from a cooperative focused on development of cultivar and germplasm (transgenic);
- Advised Bunge regarding acquisition of infrastructure assets, including but not limited to investment on port concession agreement;
- Provided advice to General Electric on investment (equity and debt) on renewable energy company;
- Assisted Pecém Energia in a cross-border EPC agreement;
- Advised Cargill on the sale of Cargill’s food animal business (Cargill Nutrição Animal Ltda.) for the French group Evialis.
- Advised Dow in the divestiture of its subsidiary Dopec Indústria e Comércio Ltda. in Brazil.
- Responsible counsel for ThyssenKrupp CSA project, a US$6 billion greenfield investment from ThyssenKrupp and Vale.
- Advised Dow in the formation of a joint venture with Mitsui & Co., Ltd.
- Advised Dow in the cross-border transaction of sale of latex and polystyrene facilities to Styron Holding B.V. and Sty Acquisition Corp.
- Advised Dow in the acquisition of shares in Crystalsev Participações Ltda..
- Advised Nestlé in the acquisition of mineral water assets in Brazil and structuring alternatives to mitigate succession risks.
- Advised Cargill relation to the divestiture of Mosaic´s fertilizer business in Brazil.
- Advised Dow in the divestiture of assets to Unigel S.A.
- Advised Howden in the construction contract for its plant in São Paulo.
- Advised Dow in the Divestiture of assets to Formitex da Bahia Indústria e Comércio Ltda.
- Acted in a structured project finance transaction involving the construction agreement for Wellstream plant in Rio de Janeiro.
- Advised Petrobras regarding the acquisition of Gas Brasiliano S.A.
- Advised Suzano Bahia Sul Papel e Celulose on the expansion of its plant in the city of Mucuri, Bahia.
- Negotiated EPC contract and guarantees for Polietilenos S.A.
- Negotiated construction and operation for the implementation of the tourism complex Sauípe in the State of Bahia.
- Advised in Rio Polímeros S.A. on the construction of the polystyrene facility and arbitration procedure against EPC contractor.
- Rendered several consulting services on corporate and regulatory law to Brazilian pension funds (PREVI, PETROS and SISTEL).
Columbia Law School
Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro, Bachelor of Law
- New York
- "Daniel Gunzburger is ‘innovative’, and has ‘extensive experience from a myriad of transactions’" The Legal 500 2016