Marcelo Frazão is an associate in the Corporate & M&A practice of Tauil & Chequer Advogados and advises companies with interests in the shipping and offshore sectors. Marcelo has extensive experience in merges and acquisitions, finance and oil and gas and energy projects involving ships and offshore installations including projects with FSRU, FPSO, drilling units, support vessels and subsea construction. He also counsels on international financing for the offshore sector and domestic transactions with the Merchant Marine Fund.
He represents top-tier oilfield companies, shipowners, cargo owners, shipyards and financiers in a wide range of projects and cross-border deals. Marcelo is a recognized expert in the shipping and offshore sectors. Over the years, he has been actively involved in some of the largest projects and deals involving foreign companies with interests in Brazil and Brazilian companies with interests abroad.
Marcelo has represented numerous shipowners, top-tier oilfield service companies, shipyards and financiers in a wide range of projects. His distinguished clients and engagements have included:
- Represented a US-based client in Brazil in the structuring and licensing of a floating cement terminal in Brazilian inland waters.
- Represented a foreign client in the licensing of an offshore regasification terminal in Brazil.
- Represented a Brazilian shipyard in a renegotiation of an EPC contract in excess of US$ 1.5 billion for the supply and integration of modules of two Floating Production Storage and Offloading vessels – FPSO.
- Represented two of the largest subsea construction companies in regulatory matters with the Brazilian National Agency of Waterway Transportation – ANTAQ.
- Represented a variety of oil and gas service providers, ranging from offshore survey companies to FPSO operators, in the start-up process in Brazil, including negotiation, analysis and adaptation of model forms to Brazilian law, negotiation of several agreements, personnel hiring and other relevant matters.
- Represented several shipowners of the offshore sector in bid proceedings in Brazil.
- Represented a large oil and gas service provider in the restructuring of its FPSO business.
- Represented a top-tier tanker company in bid proceedings in Brazil.
- Represented a global cruise ship broker in bid proceedings in Brazil.
- Represented a Brazilian client in the acquisition and importation of a world-class yacht from an Italian shipyard.
- Represented a large shipowner of offshore vessels in a commercial dispute in Brazil concerning Brazilian preference laws and regulations favoring the chartering of Brazilian-flagged vessels.
- Represented the main international trade association for merchant shipowners & operators and one of the largest ship registers by tonnage in an amicus curiae case concerning the validity and enforcement of foreign ship mortgages in Brazil.
- Represented an European bank in the repossession and re-exportation of an FPSO unit operating in Brazilian waters.
- Represented shipowners and oil and gas service providers in several charter party disputes against national and international oil and gas exploration and production companies operating in Brazil.
- Represented a major FPSO operator in legal proceedings with the Brazilian Maritime Tribunal concerning maritime incidents and application of Brazilian maritime regulations.
- Represented an European ship finance bank in the repossession of two offshore support vessels operating in Brazilian waters.
- Represented a shipping agent in a ship recycling transaction to lift suspensions imposed by the Brazilian Navy and Brazilian Environmental Agency for the sail of a Brazilian tanker to international waters.
- Represented a drilling contractor in Brazil on a syndicated loan of approximately US$ 575 million for the construction and operation of a semi-submersible drilling rig.
- Represented borrowers on a number credit default swap transactions in connection with ship finances.
- Represented a drilling contractor in Brazil on a syndicated loan with the participation of a Norwegian export credit agency in excess of US$ 940 million for the construction and operation of two deepwater drilling ships.
- Represented an oil and gas service provider on a multi-million dollar bond issuance.
- Represented a global shipping fund on a multilateral finance for the construction of a fleet of Brazilian-flagged offshore support vessels.
- Represented an oil and gas service provider on a multi-million dollar private placement, including negotiation of shareholders agreement and joint-venture documentation.
- Represented a global shipping company on a multi-million dollar bilateral finance for the acquisition of four tankers and bulk carriers.
- Seconded at the London office of Campbell Johnston Clark in 2013.
- Seconded to a top-tier oilfield service company as in-house counsel in 2011.
London School of Economics and Political Science, LLM in International Business Law
Universidade Federal Fluminense (UFF), Bachelor of Law (JD equivalent)
- Member, Brazilian Association of Maritime Law