The mining sector is a core business area for Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown. Decades of global industry service provide us with an in-depth understanding of the particularities of the industry and the needs of our customers.
We represent national and international mining companies in Brazil and abroad on a wide range of legal matters, including their investments in Brazil, M&A and project development, with a multidisciplinary approach in advising on matters related to the mining industry on all fronts of acting.
We offer highly knowledgeable counsel from lawyers with extensive experience in the legal, financial and operational issues of mining companies and their supply chain.
Among other matters, we advise on:
- Mergers, joint ventures and strategic investments
- Access to international capital markets and stock exchange listings
- Project financing (traditional bank debt and financing from the capital market), capital raising and financing
- Formation of resource funds and related investments
- Preparation and negotiation of construction contracts
- Hedging acquisitions and disposals of developed and undeveloped properties, as well as structuring and documentation based on regulatory requirements
- Environmental licensing processes at the federal, state and municipal levels, with widespread participation in all environmental agencies in Brazil
- Negotiation, review and preparation of mining leases and assignments, in addition to other atypical contracts related to the sector
- Assessment of mining regulation regarding all matters involved in the mineral production chain
- Proposition, defense and/or follow-up of legal proceedings relating to the relationship between mining companies and superficiaries of the property in which the deposit or mineral reserve is located
- Proposition, defense and/or monitoring of administrative procedures at ANM and/or MME
- Preparation of legal opinions related to mineral regulation
- Crisis management of mining projects
Our team includes professionals who have worked at major mining companies, ensuring the delivery of technically informed advice to our clients.