Eduardo Soto is a partner in the Employment & Benefits practice of Tauil & Chequer Advogados in São Paulo office. Eduardo has several years of experience advising Brazilian and international companies on the various aspects of employment and labor law. He also provides assistance with labor and employment issues that arise from mergers and acquisitions, business transfers, and international secondments. Eduardo is well versed in handling issues related to executive management including the creation and adaptation of global compensation plans to local laws with a focus on benefits such as performance bonuses, profit sharing, stock options and stock awards plans.
The experience gained while working as a consultant on matters involving compensation plans, and preventive internal policies enable him to provide clients with a business-oriented perspective on litigation, which goes beyond the simple boundaries of the lawsuit itself. He has worked on big a number of complex cases involving sales representatives, contractors, high-level executives, former CEOs, and collective disputes involving workers unions.
Eduardo also has solid experience handling labor negotiation, both for prevention and for a solution of litigation with employees, unions and executives.
As a result of Eduardo’s international expertise academically and professionally, he became a member of the Portuguese Bar Association (Lisbon section) and the Spanish Bar Association (Madrid section) giving him the right to practice as a lawyer in all countries of the European Union, in accordance with EU regulations. Global clients value Eduardo’s experience working with legal assistance for their business in Brazil, combining his general knowledge of the European Labour Law with his deep knowledge of the Brazilian labor regulations, especially on start-ups projects in Brazil, M&A projects, joint ventures, and other enterprises combining foreign investment and Brazilian production.
Prior to joining Tauil & Chequer Advogados, Eduardo was a Partner of Mattos Muriel Kestener Advogados, from 2014 to 2016. He was a senior associate in Veirano Advogados from 2001 to 2014. Eduardo was also a clerk/lawyer at Demarest Advogados from 1994 to 2001.
- Represented multinational telecommunications and IT companies in cases involving compensation plans filed by managers.
- Represented multinational of beverage industry in strategic actions of high complexity, such as public civil actions and class actions.
- Represented international food industry in cases involving regularization work force in Brazil.
- Represented international software company involving sales compensation plans.
- Represented multinational automotive companies in several labor claims involving accidents /occupational diseases.
Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, LLM, Corporate Law
Universidad de Alcalá, Spain, Spanish Law for Foreign Jurists Course
Universidad Complutense de Madrid, European Law and European Institutions Course
Fundação Getúlio Vargas (FGV/SP), Management Labor Law Course
Pontifical Catholic University of São Paulo (PUC-SP), Labor Law and Procedural Labour Law
Universidade Presbiteriana Mackenzie, Bachelor of Law (JD equivalent)
- Portugal, Lisbon
- Spain, Madrid
- Brazilian Chamber of Commerce in Madrid, member of the Legal Committee
- Labor Lawyers National Association (ASNALA), Spain
- Spanish Labor Law and Social Security Association (AEDTSS)
- Spanish Chamber of Commerce, Sao Paulo, President of the Legal Committee
- São Paulo’s Lawyers Association (AASP)
- "Practice head Eduardo Soto, who is described as "highly qualified professional, quick and efficient." Latin Lawyer 250 2018 - Labour
- Chambers & Partners, Latin America - Labor and Employment - since 2012
- Chambers & Partners, Global - Labor and Employment - 2013
- Expert Guides, from Euromoney - Labor and Employment Brazil - since 2009
- Latin American Corporate Counsel Association - "Approved Practitioner" - since 2012
- Who's Who Legal - Management Labor and Employment - since 2008