Renan Scapim is an associate in the Restructuring practice of Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown in the Sao Paulo office. He represents clients in lawsuits and negotiates credit operations, as well advices them in arbitrations.
Renan has experience conducting and solving complex causes, remarkably in corporate and covenant disputes. His experience includes the analysis and negotiation of credits, pledges and liabilities. He also represents clients in bankruptcy proceedings, highlighting his practice along creditors.
He holds a master’s degree from the University of Sao Paulo (USP) and the title of specialist in environmental law from the Pontifical Catholic University of Sao Paulo (PUC). Prior to joining Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown he was a lawyer at a litigation firm and an editorial board member of a legal review.
- Represented one of the largest communication corporation in the country excluding a procedural fee over R$ 753 million.
- Represented an Italian corporation in a pos-arbitration proceeding and in several lawsuits until negotiating and receiving the credit of R$ 230 million.
- Represented one of the largest banks in Brazil in the Lava Jato operation.
- Represented a bank in both judicial and non-judicial procedures to receive the fiduciary credit of R$ 30 million. Afterwards advised the bank splitting the credit.
- Represented a construction company withdrawing a real estate operation of R$ 120 million.
- Represented a bank in a lawsuit filed by Grupo Tome to review its debt of R$ 75 million.
- Actively acted to frame precedents in the Sao Paulo State Court and in the Brazilian Superior Justice Court regarding closing some bank accounts of a certain activity.
- Advised and helped the Jockey of Sao Paulo receiving a substantial amount of money from the City to pay its creditors, specially its employees.
- Represented a sugar-ethanol client pledging a credit over R$ 500 million.
- Represented Banco Santander in a delicate matter involving the post-office monopoly held by the Federal Government.
- Represented some people receiving or managing compensation damages from plane crash accidents.
- Represented one of the largest banks in Brazil maintaining its agreement with the State of Rio de Janeiro due to hypothetical tax irregularity and the absence of clearance certificate that allowed the activity in the area.
- Represented a major bank excluding its credit from a tax lawsuit over R$ 550 million that undermined its fiduciary real estate property.
- Represented one of the world’s largest tech company acquiring a Brazilian subsidiary from another major tech corporation, specially reviewing the liability of the operation.
University of São Paulo, Master of Laws
Pontifical Catholic University of São Paulo (PUC-SP), Specialization in Environmental Law and Sustainability Management
Pontifical Catholic University of Campinas, Bachelor of Law (JD equivalent)
- Member, Editorial Board, Revista Forense
- Analise 500 - Most admired lawyer 2019 (economics/banking law).