Julia Serrano is an associate in the Maritime Law practice of Tauil & Chequer in association with Mayer Brown in the Rio de Janeiro office. She advises national and international clients in contractual, corporate and regulatory matters involving assets in the oil & gas industry, focusing on shipping, supply vessels, and production and drilling units.
Julia advises clients in drafting, negotiating and revising specific contracts of the oil & gas industry, M&A and financing transactions, due diligences and administrative matters involving Petrobras and regulatory agencies, such as the National Agency for Petroleum, Natural Gas and Biofuels (ANP) and the National Waterway Agency (ANTAQ). Her daily practice comprises assistance to E&P companies and offshore service providers in carrying out business activities in Brazil, with particular reference to operators of floating units, such as FPSOs and FSRUs, drilling companies and operators of supply vessels.
Julia also advises clients in matters related to construction, charter, and operation and maintenance of vessels and offshore platforms used in the oil & gas industry, including EPC and EPCI arrangements, charter and provision of services/O&M contracts, as well as advising domestic and foreign investors in the incorporation and development of projects in Brazil in compliance with local legislation.
Prior to joining Tauil & Chequer, Julia was an associate in the corporate and oil and gas practices of renowned law firms in Brazil, and also an in-house lawyer for one of the largest Brazilian drilling companies, providing extensive legal advice on corporate, regulatory and transactional matters.
- Advised the joint venture between a Norwegian and an Italian FPSO operators in the negotiation of contracts with a major Dutch E&P company for the construction (EPCI), charter and operation and maintenance (O&M) of a FPSO to be located in the Pre-salt area of the Santos Basin.
- Advised a Norwegian operator of FSRUs in the analysis of charter and services contracts for the operation of a regasification unit for a LNG project in the Santos Port.
- Advised a Brazilian port terminal in a bid called by Petrobras for the provision of a logistics base for coils and subsea flexible accessories, including the elaboration of a legal opinion to support client’s qualification in the bid.
- Advised a Chinese investment bank in the potential acquisition of equity participation in a multinational joint venture that owns and operate a FPSO for Petrobras in the Pre-salt area;
- Advised a Norwegian FPSO operator in the analysis of charter and services contracts and related documents for several FPSO bids called by Petrobras.
- Advised a Japanese shipping company (in partnership with a Japanese conglomerate and a Dutch oil & gas services provider) in the analysis of the charter and services contracts for the FPSO Mero 2 bid called by Petrobras.
- Advised a multinational operator of drilling rigs in connection with a refinancing of a USD 150 million bond issue and a USD 350 million senior secured term loan facility in Norway, in which its Brazilian subsidiary was required to grant certain guarantees.
- Advised a Norwegian E&P company in the structuring of its new E&P business in Brazil, including drafting of main contract templates to be used in the procurement of seismic and drilling services.
- Advised investment banks in the structuring of a USD 400 million senior security bond issue in the Oslo stock market to finance the acquisition and development of certain oil fields by a Brazilian E&P company concessionaire of areas in Campos, Foz do Amazonas and Ceará Basins.
- Advised a Chinese shipyard in connection with a potential legal dispute against the Rio de Janeiro State Government due to the breach of payment obligations under a Shipbuilding Contract for the construction and sale of a series of passenger vessels.
- Advised several operators of FPSOs, drilling rigs and supply vessels in administrative discussions involving the imposition of contractual and regulatory fines.
- Advised several shipowners in bids called by Petrobras for the charter and operation of FPSOs, drilling units and support vessels.
University of Coimbra, JD
Fluminense Federal University, JD
Fundação Getúlio Vargas (FGV/RJ), LLM, Corporate Law and Capital Markets